Friday, April 8, 2011

Free fun: Railroad Park

Photo: Ann Allen. Taken from activerain.com


























Growing up, my family never went to a "park" much because we lived out in the country for all but two years of my life. So the "park" for me was really in my backyard and at the pond across the street. But when I moved to New York City after graduating from the University of Alabama, I realized that I had taken my green space for granted all those years. I discovered that every once in a while you need a little more green in your life! So I became super thankful for a little place called Central Park that fulfilled this need for fresh air and green grass for me (and millions of others) while I was in NYC.

Now that I live in Birmingham, I do have a decent yard, but there's still no better feeling than stretching out on a blanket, taking off your shoes and settling down to read a book in a park on a nice day. So in honor of the amazing weather we Birminghamians have to look forward to this weekend, I'm suggesting you have some free fun and go to the park! But not just any park. Let's make it Railroad Park. It only just opened last fall, but it's fast becoming one of my favorite places to spend a Sunday afternoon. And considering it just won the People's Choice award for "Best New Park" on thedailygreen.com, I'd say it's a few other people's favorite place, too.

There are really so many free things you can do: skateboard, run, walk, read, nap, get a tan, listen to music, play guitar, hang out with your friends, play frisbee, have a picnic, play with your dog, play soccer, play on the jungle gym with your kids...or you can do what my friends and I like to do and bring board games to play in the park. The possibilities are endless. So even if you're not in Birmingham and you can't visit Railroad Park, I think it's ok if you visit another park instead :)

Photo: Ann Allen. Taken from activerain.com 

Photo: Ann Allen. Taken from activerain.com

























Happy Friday everyone! I hope you all have a great-outdoors-kind-of-weekend!

No comments: