Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Design project: Retro wedding shower invitations




It's awesome when you have a close friend who happens to be a guy, because when he meets "the one" you instantly inherit another best friend. So I can say in this blog post that I got to design wedding shower invitations for two of my best friends who are getting married next month.

When the other hostesses and I met to plan the shower details, Amy had already done a great job researching a few themes and we all decided the retro beach/pool party idea sounded like a winner.

As I started to design the invitations, the color palette was an easy choice because we had talked about using Torry and Nicole's wedding colors (mustard and navy) for consistency, but also adding some red to make the party just a little bit different. I also decided to use very little beach or pool design elements just in case our theme turned into mostly just a retro theme in general.

For whatever reason, my very first thought was to use an old school hotel type sign annoucing the party. But I still needed a little more inspiration so I looked at a few retro beach movie posters for fonts and an overall style that I should use. Finally, I googled slang terms used in the 1950s and 60s that I could drop in for added nostalgia and that's how it all came together.

We sent them off in beautiful matching yellow envelopes and I'm hoping they made quite the splash in everyone's mailboxes!






Pin It!

2 comments:

Kristian said...

Our wedding was retro themed too ( I know this was the shower instead, but still). How fun and the invites are awesome!

Will said...

Love your blog! I've been looking for inspiration for my wedding stationery and this has really helped. Thank you!