Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Maxi-mum spending




I distinctly remember when I purchased this dress. It was one of those moments where I was merely accompanying Laura (my now sometimes photographer) on a lunch break trip to Belk quite a few years ago. It was at the height of the maxi dress trend, like when they first came out and everyone was running out to get one. I saw this particular version and thought it was the most beautiful thing ever.

And even though it was more than I cared to spend and I was pretty sure a shorty like me shouldn't wear a long dress, I tried it on anyway. To my dismay it fit wonderfully and was even prettier on that I thought it could be. I know you're thinking I got that last sentence wrong, but I promise I didn't. I was now faced with the dilemma of whether or not I should plunk down $60 on a dress.

Yes, (as crazy as it sounds) $60 seemed like a lot of money to drop on one piece of clothing at the time. And honestly, I would probably still have to stand there and mull it over to this day! But obviously, I decided to just do it because what are the odds that I could find another maxi dress that actually looked pretty good on me?

And ya know, I haven't missed that $60 to this day. It was a good choice that has served me pretty well over the past few years. So if you're anywhere near as frugal as I am, go ahead and let yourself splurge occasionally. It usually tends to all work out well in the end!

Here's the cheapskate breakdown:

1. Maxi dress, Belk ($59.99)
2. Cardigan, Ross Dress for Less ($7.99)
3. Wedges, Charlotte Russe ($32.50)
4. Tote bag, giveaway
5. Headband, Urban Outfitters ($9.50)
6. Sunglasses, Dollar Tree ($1.00)
7. Square ring, Brooklyn Flea ($5.00)
8. Vintage cocktail ring, gifted
9. Earrings, Stella & Dot ($34.00)

Total: Under $150.00












Photos: Leslie Evans





Pin It!

1 comment:

Kristian said...

Sometimes it is worth it to pay more for an item you will really use a lot, and this looks fantastic on you. Also, love the hair.