Friday, May 11, 2012

Plated: Classic stripes & navy blue




Today is one of my very best friend's birthday (happy bday Ashley!) and tonight we're celebrating with a cookout at my house. I designed a little backyard barbeque invitation last week based more on her  personal style instead of choosing an overall bbq theme.

When I think of Ashley, I think "classic" and navy blue for some reason. So I headed over to J. Crew and took a look around and came across this killer lilac and navy striped tee shirt. Then upon further inspection, I found more than a couple leading ladies who were rocking the navy/white stripe or polka dot trend. These two photos of Mollie King and Taylor Swift were my favorite, so I put them in the mix as well for me to pull design inspiration from.

I didn't want to do literal stripes each way on the invitation, so I allowed for the font colors and choices to represent the horizontal stripes and then created the navy and white vertical stripes. Then I threw in a tiny polka dot detail to add just a little something. I did have to include some type of image that alluded to a bbq, so I topped it all off with an old school Weber grill.

Here's the final end product (names addresses have been changed to protect the innocent :)



Hope y'all have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the stripes! cool post!

http://themadcreationist.blogspot.it/

Giuseppe