Thursday, May 23, 2013

A hand me down tune






I love hand me downs. They're basically a vintage items that someone is passing down to you—for free. There's just nothing better, right? Well, actually I guess what is better is when said hand me downs are passed down from a generation in your family.

Last Sunday I was given the opportunity to go through my grandmother's belongings and take anything that I would like as a keepsake. Don't worry, my granny is still alive, but she is in the nursing home so it has been decided to sell her home and the items in it. Yes, still a bittersweet way to spend the day.

It was such a strange thing to go to my granny's house and sift through her property to fill up a box. On the one hand, I was so glad I got to keep things that made me think of her and also items that I could really use around the house. But on the otherhand it's just an odd situation. You just don't know what you're supposed to feel. But overall, it turned out to be a pleasant experience.

I was lucky enough to see extended family members that I typically only see around the winter holidays and it was so great to have my aunts there telling me what some of the items were and when/how they were used. They were also sweet enough to hand pick things for me that they thought I would be interested in the most.

So! All that said, I'm showcasing a few pieces of my plunder in today's post:

1) My great grandmother's reading glasses. And no, I really can't see in these things! Had to switch them out during the shoot for my sunnies.
2) A purse that my mom bought as a gift for my grandmother. I almost didn't take this one, but finally gave in and now I am completely smitten with this thing. What was I thinking?!
3) A heart pin that I turned into a charm on a necklace.
4) A teensy, fragile and beautiful thin gold ring. I'd like to think it was an older relative's wedding band, but I just can't be sure.

I can only imagine you'll see and hear about all the other pieces in future posts to come. I mean, I got so many lovely things, I can't wait to share them all!

Here's the cheapskate outfit breakdown:

1. Floral top, Sugarlips ($32.00)
2. Floral skirt, thrifted ($2.99)
3. Platforms, Charlotte Russe ($16.25)
4. Belt, Necessary Clothing ($5.99)
5. Vintage purse, gifted/passed down
6. Vintage reading glasses, gifted/passed down
7. Vintage RayBan sunnies, gifted/passed down (thanks mom!)
8. Heart necklace, gifted/passed down
9. Square ring, Brooklyn Flea ($5.00)
10. Thin gold ring, gifted/passed down
11. Leaf ring, gifted (thanks Em!)

Total: Under $75.00









Photos: Leslie Evans



2 comments:

LongIslandWeddingOfficiant said...

Gorgeous and romantic! Love it!
hugs from New York,
xx
Ask Erena
http://askerena.blogspot.com/

Emma said...

I love hand-me-downs! Especially when they're from someone you really care about. You're seriously rocking those glasses-- too bad you can't see, haha