Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Iced coffee: cheap & easy afternoon treat




Probably about two months ago, I realized I was starting to crash by mid-afternoon a few days a week. I found myself desperately craving some caffeine—and preferably cold caffeine. Since I try to stay away from sugar soft drinks (even though yes, I do love Coke, Dr. Pepper, Mtn. Dew...etc) and I still can't seem to enjoy diet beverage, I figured I would try my hand at making my own iced coffee.

It turned out to be a huge success. And actually maybe too much of a success because I now seem to be heading to the breakroom at work at least 3x a week around 2:30 p.m. But I figure it's a cheap, easy and not too terrible afternoon treat to give myself, so I am ok with it!

While I realize that making an iced coffee is certainly not rocket science, I still thought I'd share a few tips on what works best for me.

1. Use coffee that has been sitting out for a while. If there is just a cup's worth that is left in your office coffee pot and it has not been left sitting on the warmer, you have hit the jackpot.
2. If no old coffee is around and you are phenin for some 'feine and fast, just pour a fresh cup and set it in the freezer for at least 15 minutes.
3. Fill your cup at least 3/4 with ice before you pour your cold coffee on top.
4. Use a flavored creamer. My favorite is the Almond Joy creamer by International Delight.
5. For some reason, I swear iced coffee is just better with a straw, so make sure you have one handy.


Enjoy!



No comments: