Monday, April 9, 2012
DIY: Dye It Yourself
Ever since I've had such great success with coloring my own hair for the past three times in a row, I've decided
that going forward, as long as I am only doing an all over color, I will always color my own hair. I figure it saves
me at least $40, not to mention I can color it anytime I want. There's no appointment necessary!
So if you're in the mood to DIY (dye it yourself) here are a few tips that you might find helpful:
1. Pick a day or night to color your hair when you know you won't need to wash it for at least one day. I prefer
going two days without washing my hair after coloring it. I feel like this extends the color just a tad bit longer.
2. As mentioned before, I prefer Revlon Colorsilk. It's the cheapest on the market, I've never been disappointed
with the color and the conditioner that comes in the box is ah-mazing.
3. Remove anything white or light colored in your bathroom that you do not want stray hair color to get on.
Accidents happen and you don't want to ruin that pretty white shower curtain or rug!
4. Wear a dark colored top and/or something you don't mind getting hair dye on.
5. I follow the box directions almost exactly. I only stray from not "testing" a strand of hair and I don't part my
hair in four parts. I just pour it on top of my hair and lather it in.
6. Be sure that you fully saturate all of your hair. There's nothing worse than color streakage.
7. Keep a dark colored towel nearby for spills.
8. Also dampen one of the corners of this towel so you can immediately wipe away any color that smears
around the edge of your hairline and face.
9. Que up a TV show to watch or a book to read while you wait for the color to soak in for 30+ minutes.
10. If you do use Revlon Colorsilk, I like to use only half of the deep conditioning after I rinse the color out. Then
I use the other half when I wash my hair a few days later.
Do you guys have any tips for coloring your hair that I have left out? Or do you have a different over-the-counter color that you prefer?